Field Application Engineer, Pre-Sales Support West
About the Role
Elemental Machines is looking for an experienced full-time Field Application Engineer to join our team.
The Field Application Engineer, Pre-Sales is an integral part of the Commercial Team, and a key contributor to Elemental Machines’ hardware platform and customer experience; you will help design, install, and debug custom hardware integrations at a prototype and production level. You will work with potential customers on-site and remotely to ensure the best possible experience with Elemental Machines’ hardware offerings.
Candidates must be able to work both independently and as a member of a team and strive for personal growth in line with company goals.
This is a full-time, salaried position operating on the West Coast of the US. Applicants must reside in the Greater San Francisco or San Diego areas and be willing to spend up to 25-50% of time at Customer sites.
Today’s research, clinical, and quality control labs are expected to discover and produce at a pace once considered unimaginable. Now, to lead is to be led by data. The Elemental Machines platform elevates LabOps teams to lead data-driven discovery, development, and delivery by simplifying the connection between physical and digital worlds. The result is a lab united by a universal cloud-connected dashboard and operations, informed by monitoring of every asset and environment, both in real-time and over time. Why? The standards established by operations determine the pace of output and discovery organization-wide. Excellence in LabOps is a connection away.
What do we do?
We elevate LabOps teams to lead data-driven discovery, development, and delivery.
How do we do it?
We simplify the connection between the physical and digital worlds.
Why do we do it?
Optimizing the operations of research, clinical, and quality control labs has an exponential impact.
About the Culture
Elemental Machines is a startup company based in Cambridge, MA, and we love it here! Being right next to some of the most innovative companies in the IoT and BioTech industries gives us drive and passion to pursue our own big goals, while enabling other companies to pursue theirs.
We are committed to delivering on our promise to our customers: accelerate how they get science done. This commitment touches every level of our culture, because we are excited every day to stretch our creativity in balancing the needs of our customers with the resources at our disposal, and to thoughtfully interact with our peers to keep our mission on track.
- Coordinate pilot rollouts with Sales team and provide behind the scenes / day-of support (on site if needed)
- Summarize and provide customer feedback to Elemental Machines’ Engineering team
- Communicate with customers remotely and onsite to identify and resolve their issues with custom hardware offerings
- Write customer-facing process documentation for custom hardware device integrations
- Absorb complex data specs and turn them into actionable knowledge on mission-critical laboratory equipment
- Assist sales team with deployment of hardware and software solutions for customers
- Debug customer issues and coordinate improvements to our hardware by acting as Tier 2+ support and subject matter expert
- Implement proactive solutions to optimize the customer pilot experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline, preferably electrical or mechanical engineering
- 2-3+ years of industry experience, preferably in electronics-based products
- Hands-on experience with industrial communication protocols like RS-232, RS-485, Modbus, CAN bus, etc.
- Proactive and excited to solve Customer issues and address system-engineering level friction points
- Good technical writing skills and an eye for creating customer-facing documentation
- Ability to go on site with Customers for in-person technical support and root cause analysis of user issues
- Experience using command-line interface tools to understand Hardware operation in realtime
- Previous experience in customer service/support is a plus
- Ability to stand for long periods and lift up to 25lbs unassisted
- Comfortable traveling within the San Francisco / San Diego areas and throughout the US
- Experience working in a lab or with laboratory equipment is a plus!