Senior Data Engineer
About the role:
Elemental Machines is looking for a dedicated, experienced Senior Data Engineer to take ownership of our industry-leading IoT analytics platform on our Data Science team.
As the Senior Data Engineer, you'll work closely with our Software and Device Engineering teams to deliver enterprise-class analytics solutions. Your primary focus will be on maintaining and enhancing both our Analytics Engine and our Data Ingestion infrastructure. These two components are mission critical to the growth of our business and the expansion of our product offerings.
The ideal candidate for this role is creative, willing to innovate, and demonstrates a strong aptitude to succeed in a startup environment. You will enthusiastically learn about, and contribute to, all aspects of our data projects, including data ingestion, relational databases, time series databases, and data analytics services. Additionally, you will apply both your technical expertise and your capacity for creative thinking to devise and implement solutions to a variety of complex business challenges.
This position offers an excellent opportunity for professional growth in the areas of near real-time data processing and IoT data stream analytics, and will be instrumental in architecting the system to progress it forward and meet growing needs of business.
- Optimize and maintain existing data processing pipelines including IoT ingestion and near real-time analytics to meet exponentially increasing demand
- Provide guidance and subject-matter expertise to critical decision-making around the handling of both IoT sensor data and all other data
- Build and maintain ML pipelines to help us deliver models faster
- Prepare data for both predictive and prescriptive modeling
- Help identify and integrate third-party services and new opportunities for data acquisition
- Design and document your architectural choices
- Collaborate with ML Engineers to deploy novel machine learning models and algorithms
- Work cross-functionally with Software and Device Engineering teams to define and build data models that enable complex analysis, visualization, and data science
- Meaningfully contribute to our culture of technical leadership
- 5+ years experience data engineer (or similar) role
- 5+ years experience developing and testing data processing pipelines
- Knowledge of programming languages (e.g. Python, Java)
- Hands-on experience with both relational and time series (e.g. InfluxDB) database design
- Experience with analytics services such as Dataflow and Cloud Functions
- Minimum of 1 year of designing and building production IoT data pipelines from data ingestion to consumption within a hybrid architecture
- Experience with data architecture, data modeling, schema design and software development
- Experience with cloud platforms such as GCP or AWS
- Degree in Computer Science, IT, or similar field; a Master’s degree is a plus
- Ability to work effectively both independently and on a team
- Startup experience desirable
Today’s research, clinical, and quality control labs are expected to discover and produce at a pace once considered unimaginable. Now, to lead is to be led by data. The Elemental Machines platform elevates LabOps teams to lead data-driven discovery, development, and delivery by simplifying the connection between physical and digital worlds. The result is a lab united by a universal cloud-connected dashboard and operations, informed by monitoring of every asset and environment, both in real-time and over time. Why? The standards established by operations determine the pace of output and discovery organization-wide.
Elemental Machines is a startup company based in Cambridge, MA, and we love it here! Being right next to some of the most innovative companies in the IoT and BioTech industries gives us drive and passion to pursue our own big goals, while enabling other companies to pursue theirs.
We are committed to delivering on our promise to our customers: accelerate how they get science done. This commitment touches every level of our culture, because we are excited every day to stretch our creativity in balancing the needs of our customers with the resources at our disposal, and to thoughtfully interact with our peers to keep our mission on track.
Excellence in LabOps is a connection away.
What do we do?
We elevate LabOps teams to lead data-driven discovery, development, and delivery.
How do we do it?
We simplify the connection between the physical and digital worlds.
Why do we do it?
Optimizing the operations of research, clinical, and quality control labs has an exponential impact.
Please send your cover letter & resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to put the job title you are applying for in the subject line.
Also, please answer the following two questions in your email:
- Are you legally authorized to work in the United States?
- Will you now, or in the future, require sponsorship for Employment VISA Status (e.g. - H-1B VISA Status)?